PLEASE NOTE: THIS BLOG IS A BLOG IN PROGRESS! I AM SLOWLY BUT SURELY UPDATING MY PICTURES, AND POSTS...AND TRANSFERRING MY OLD BLOGS TO THIS ONE...SO, YOU MIGHT NOT WANT TO FOLLOW ME BY EMAIL YET...BECAUSE YOU PROBABLY DON'T WANT TO GET AN EMAIL FOR EVERY CHANGE I MAKE, LOL! I WILL TAKE THIS DOWN WHEN IT IS GOOD TO GO FRIENDS!

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Words of the Year: Be Present

Hey friends!  I just wanted to invite you to join in "The Word of the Year" with me this year.  For some of you . . . you might not have heard of this . . . for others . . . you might have participated before :)  For those who don't know . . . the basic idea is that you pray about one area of life where you would like to see growth in character during this next year . . . and pick a word to represent it.  For example, last year my Word of the Year was "Peace". . . this year . . . my Words are "Be Present" (with God and my kids).  I, personally . . . like to make a plan of action . . . of ways that I can actually agree with God and faithfully pursue this character.  Although, some people just pick the word and pray that God would change that area in them . . . whatever you feel led to do is fine :)  It is between you and God.  I just wanted to challenge you with this because it changed my life last year when I did it for the first time . . . so I am hopeful that God will use it in a big way for you as well :)

If you are interested and would like to see what some other people are thinking of for this year . . . here is a link :)

If you are interested in hearing a little about how God used the Word of the Year for me last year . . . you can read about it here . . . or in the 2011 letter I will be sending out soon :)

Last year, I made a list of verses to memorize, books to read . . . and ways to focus on peace.  I did not get done with all I put on my list . . . but God faithfully did so much in my life through my "word" anyways! :)  This year, while I am focusing on "being present". . . I am going to continue my pursuit of peace . . . because I know that God is still doing a lot in that area of my life . . . and I will probably get to some of those books and verses :)  Here is what I have brainstormed for me personally this year:

Being Present With God:
* Daily Quiet Time: 
spend time worshiping and thanking God for who He is
reading my Bible
journaling to God and listening to God
praying for my kids, husband, self and others (I really like this book!)
* Listen to worship music and pray in the Spirit during cleaning, working out, and shower times
* Pray that God would give me a focused mind during the times I have set aside for just me and God . . . I don't want to be thinking about my "to do" list during this time!
* Scripture review and memory: 
post it on my phone and around my house (I have taken a screen shot on my iphone of the verse I am working on and set it as my background for my lock screen---very helpful!)
I would like to implement this system with my kids
Listen to scripture music like Seeds Family Worship (put on my playlist so I am being soaked in Scripture)
* Set my alarm on my phone to go off throughout the day to intentionally think of God and be thankful . . . kind of like a reminder to point my mind and heart back to Jesus . . . 
* Be in a habit of quickly repenting and turning towards God . . . I do not want any sin in my heart to stand in my way of seeking Him!
* Read: 

With Kids
* Each day (Mon-Fri) spend at least 15 minutes playing or cuddling intentionally with each kid individually, 30 minutes on weekends
* Do at least one fun, out of the ordinary thing each week with the kids (play in the snow, build a fort, bake cookies, make a craft, take a field trip, have a game night, do a science experiment etc).  Here is a good link for this too :)
* Turn off tv during meals and eat and talk with kids
* Read to kids before bed (Bible, chapter book)
* Sing, pray, rock, rub backs before bed
* Take pictures a lot and look through them with the kids...make going through albums an end of the month tradition
* Pray about what areas God wants to work on in my kids and in my relationship with them and intentionally help them to grow in those areas
* Put together a "love plan" for each kid.  Pray about ideas on how to show that child how much he is loved . . . and do it!  (Each kid is so different!)  This should include lots of "I love you"s, kisses and hugs!!!
* Do not get upset over "things" getting ruined and messes made . . .
* Computer time for me: once in the morning and at night once kids are in bed . . . not during the day.  It is too distracting for me!
* Focus on being gentle in spirit and being humble and apologizing when I am in the wrong . . . 
* Make an effort to actively listen to my kids and what is on their hearts . . . and to respond with compassion.
* Read this daily during my quiet time . . . to remind me to be an abiding mom . . . not a super mom.
* Print off this post and read over it daily during my QT

More Books I am Interested in Reading This Year:
One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voscamp- Focuses on developing a thankful heart towards God.  (This is sooo important for being present with God.  A thankful heart ushers you into the gates of His Presence . . . and THAT is where I want to be! See Psalm 100:4-5)
The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence- A classic written by a monk that cultivated a deep intimacy with the LORD during his time serving and washing dishes . . . he learned to commune with the Father during the mundane tasks of the day.)
A Praying Life: Connecting With God in a Distracting World by Paul Miller - A good friend (Candace!!!)  says this is the best book she's read on prayer . . . and this girl reads a lot . . . so now I'm interested :) 
Grace for the Good Girl: Letting Go of the Try-Hard Life- This is about not getting works focused . . . but focusing on receiving from God . . . I think this is an easy pitfall to fall into . . . on both sides . . . getting too works based . . . and forgetting that our good works are "filthy rags" to Christ . . .and that in NO WAY do they make God love us more or get us into heaven . . . we are saved ONLY THROUGH GRACE . . . or on the other side . . . getting lazy . . . where we are just okay with sin in our lives . . . and forgetting that we are to "earnestly seek Him". . . and that we "work out our salvation with fear and trembling". . . that "faith without works is dead."  I think this will be a good one for me to read so that I don't fall into one of those pitfalls . . . as I seek Christ and His presence . . . I don't want it to become a religious thing where I feel condemnation when I am not "doing" enough . . . ya know?  I want to seek Christ . . . not the things that lead us to Him . . . Besides . . . I have always been one of those "good girls". . . I think this is a book about encouragement that God loves us even though we can't possibly be good enough . . . 
Made To Crave: Satisfying Your Deepest Desire With God Not Food by Lysa Terkeurst - I am working on getting in shape. . . in fact . . . a lot of my time with God is while I am working out . . . Eating well and working out is a challenge . . . for most people I think . . . I don't want to fill my life with food . . . or to turn to food when I need to be turning to God and His presence . . .
* Reshaping It All by Candace Cameron Bure - Another book like the one above . . .

There are also some books on peace and gentleness that I didn't get to last year or want to revisit . . . :)  Here is that list:
   * Calm My Anxious Heart (with workbook)

(I also like to read The Final Quest Series by Rick Joyner every year . . . and I am thinking of reading some books on heaven to encourage my heart as I continue to work through the pain of missing Achazia . . . like Heaven is For Real90 Minutes in HeavenThe Divine Revelation of Heaven)
               
Things I want to Listen to:
Shan recommended this from a conference she went to :)

Scripture I want to Memorize:
I don't have this all down yet . . . but right now I am working on this one.
I think I will go through out the year and whatever He is speaking to me about that week . . . that is what I will focus on with Scripture Memory . . .
I also didn't get to memorizing my peace scriptures from last year . . . so I might focus on some of these:

Okay friends . . . that is what God has put on MY heart!  I would love to hear what God is speaking to you about . . . feel free to share so I can encourage you along the journey :)

No comments:

Post a Comment